From the post office to the bakery
But the history around the Ziegel- and Batteriegasse has a lot to tell even before the white baker Michael Wirth. The German historian and archivist Dr. Johannes Laschinger writes in an article about the time of the 30-year war. Even before its turmoil, Amberg was an important station for postal traffic to and from Prague.
Therefore, in 1595, Christoph Bayerschmid, a postillion and trained butcher, established the first imperial post office at Ziegelgasse 8. Then in the 1620s he had to move them. Anno 1629 the white baker Christoph Rockhinger started his work in the Ziegelgasse 6. Around 1635 the plague swept through the Ziegelgasse and emptied pretty much every house. After that, the property changed hands many times until the aforementioned Regina Wirth bought it in 1819. In 1821 Michael Wirt, the Teufelsbäck, began his trade.
Upswing through demolition
The buildings in Ziegel- and Batteriegasse changed hands many times in the following decades. At the end of the nineteenth century the inn “Zum Teufelsbäck” was built, which lasted until after the Second World War. But then the venerable building had to make room.
Amberg was in the economic upswing and one needed overnight accommodations for the numerous visitors. Therefore, it was an event when the architect Edwin Gräf demolished the historic inn on the Erras-Brunner estate and started building the modern Hotel Brunner. Already in July 1958 the topping-out ceremony was celebrated.
On the way to the opening
The exceptional performance of the architect made it possible for the Brunner family to invite guests to the opening as early as 20 December 1958.
The press is enthusiastic
The Amberger Zeitung devoted a detailed article to the opening of the Hotel Brunner in 1958. Its title “A hotel that caters to the most discerning tastes” is part of the gastronomic philosophy that first the Brunner family and then the Schatz family have followed to this day.
A city full of pride
At the end of the fifties, the city was proud of the new hotel, whose room size and furnishings were based on the Hilton Hotel in Berlin at the time. The press even called it the “Kempinski of Amberg”, as it was one of the most modern of its kind at the time.
Luxury & Modernity
The more expensive rooms were equipped with telephone, shower, toilet and private bathroom. Soundproofing and carpets were by no means standard at the time. Likewise, hotels or inns could rarely advertise with two receivable radio stations.
Art in the hotel
From the very beginning, guests were offered a feeling of security in the 42 rooms with 50 beds, coupled with individual service and modern comfort. One wing of the hotel was on stilts, allowing for a large heated garage. Art already played a decisive role in the history of the Hotel Brunner, as all the doors of the wardrobes were individually painted. Amberg was enriched by an extraordinary attraction.