A brickyard as name sponsor for the Ziegeltor in Amberg
The Ziegeltor in Amberg got its name because of the municipal brickworks, which had its seat nearby. Of course, it was also an access to the city, which was followed by the old Magdeburger Straße. The transition from the medieval, Gothic town gate to the Renaissance building can be understood particularly well by looking at the architectural history of the tower and its surroundings.
In the haze of human abysses and vices
On the way to the Ziegeltor out of Amberg you pass through the Batteriegasse. But where today in the Altstadthotel and the Hotel Brunner friendliness and hospitality are dominant and a small tailor’s shop pursues its busy craft, there in past centuries rather gloom and torment prevailed. Not only the Amberg executioner had his home here, but also a soldiers’ prison and batteries of cannons were stationed here. In addition, the Ziegeltor in Amberg was halfway to the Galgenhügel near the Mariahilfberg.
On the way into town, on one side of the brick gate, you came across the mysteriously christened Schleich House, which once housed a hot mangle. In the past, however, it was probably used for more sinister purposes. On the other side there was an inn called “Roter Hahn”. One can only imagine the scenes that took place there. This one is closed today though. This also applies to the grocer’s shop of Moller Micherl, which was also located in the shadow of the Ziegeltor.
The Gothic tower of the brick gate was raised in 1581. To the right and to the left flank two half-high battery towers in which, among other things, the aforementioned cannons were stored. In 1888 the tower was repaired and in 1904 the bridge was given a facelift.
Today the Ziegeltor in Amberg is the seat of a youth organisation. Since November 1955, the organisation has been based there, after they had restored the rather dilapidated premises.
Round dance of the gates
Other gates of the city fortification of Amberg are: